Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

TOP news

Donald Trump Jr says Twitter got ‘busted’ for having a huge number of spam accounts after Elon Musk walks away

Donald Trump Jr claimed that Twitter has “way more” spam accounts than it has admitted.

Alex Wong/Getty Images

  • Donald Trump Jr said Twitter has a “huge amount” of spam accounts and was “busted” for it.
  • Trump Jr tweeted that spam accounts are “probably 50%” of users after Elon Musk terminated the deal.
  • Musk pulled out of the $44 billion takeover on Friday and accused Twitter of false portrayal.

Donald Trump Jr said Twitter was “busted” for having way more spam accounts than it has admitted after Elon Musk pulled out of a $44 billion takeover deal.

Trump Jr tweeted after the news broke on Friday and said Twitter has a “huge amount” of spam accounts, “way more than they let on”. 

The former president’s son said that spam accounts are “probably 50%” of Twitter users and “not 5%”. 

—Donald Trump Jr. (@DonaldJTrumpJr) July 8, 2022

 

Elon Musk’s lawyers submitted filings Friday with the US Securities and Exchange Commission to terminate the deal to acquire Twitter.

The Tesla chief executive’s lawyers accused Twitter of being in “material breach of multiple provisions” of the agreement and suggested it made “false and misleading representations”.

They also argued that Twitter did not comply with its contractual obligations by providing necessary information on the amount of fake or spam accounts on the platform.

“Twitter has failed or refused to provide this information,” Musk’s lawyers said in the filing. 

“Sometimes Twitter has ignored Mr Musk’s requests, sometimes it has rejected them for reasons that appear to be unjustified, and sometimes it has claimed to comply while giving Mr Musk incomplete or unusable information,” they added.

Musk said the deal was “on hold” in May and last month accused the social media platform of resisting his efforts to gain clarity on spam accounts. 

Twitter said it was “committed” to closing the deal on the terms it agreed with Musk in a press release shortly after the filing and announced plans to take legal action to “enforce the merger agreement”.

Bret Taylor, Twitter’s chairman, posted a response to Musk terminating the deal and said the board was “confident” that it would win in the Delaware Court of Chancery.

Twitter did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Advertisement

You May Also Like

Opinion

Adeline van Houtte is the Economist Intelligence Unit’s lead analyst on Russia. It looks like Russia is at it again, after the unusual movement...

Health Care

Former President Donald Trump confirmed he had gotten a booster during a live show with Bill O’Reilly in Dallas on Sunday.

TOP news

US Navy aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson leads other US Navy ships during an exercise with the Indian navy in 2012. US Navy Photo...

TOP news

Medical imaging service in a hospital in Savoie, France. A technician monitors a brain MRI scan session. BSIP/Universal Images Group via Getty Images A...